4.11.2010

Miss Kim & Miss Betty

Today was Madeline's last day in her 2 year old Sunday school class "Under the Sea."  I have to admit I got a little teary-eyed when I dropped her off and picked her up.  I really cannot believe it's been a year since she started going to LifeKids. 

When both of our babies were born, they slept through the entire church service - loud worship and all.  We'd joke that Trent Austin, our worship leader, would sing them to sleep every week.  When it was getting close to Madeline's second birthday I knew she needed to start going to Sunday school.  I knew the LifeKids program our church offered was exceptional.  I mean, I had been on staff with them and loved everything about it.  It was just she'd never been to daycare, never been left with a sitter (besides her grandma's), nothing - so I knew it was going to be hard at first. 

Finally, after her birthday, I took her for her first class.  It was awful.  She cried so hard you could here her down both hallways.  I'll never forget how bad it was.  I stood a few doors down crying myself because I had never left my daughter with anyone and I just dropped her off with some ladies named Miss Kim and Miss Betty.  I remember running into a girl I used to work with at one of the local stations.  I'm sure she thought I had completely lost my mind.  I was trying to explain why I was crying and she was so sweet and comforting, but I know she had to think "seriously, go get her out of the classroom and then you'll both stop sobbing!"  :) 

But, I kept taking her back and by the third week, there was hardly any tears.  Every week she was greeted by those two sweet teachers.  Both of them would have big ol' smiles and welcome Madeline with open arms.  I'm pretty sure one of them was usually holding her by the time I picked her up too. :) 

All that to say, those two women will never know what an impact they made on our lives.  I took such comfort in knowing how much the loved my baby girl and how much they poured into her life by serving each and every week.  After a month or two she loved going to Sunday school and would often ask if we could go see Miss Kim and Miss Betty and learn about Jesus when we'd drive past the church during the week.  I am so thankful for the amazing curriculum and volunteers our church has.  So, when I dropped her off today it was a bittersweet moment.  To see how far she's come in a year makes me so happy - I love the girl she's becoming.  I love that she comes out telling me all the things she learned and showing off her coloring sheets.  I love that she's being taught the love of our sweet Father both inside and outside the home.  But, it's also going to be so hard for me to leave her in the hands of new teachers next week.  They're going to have a lot to live up to. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment